If you are interested in renting one of our available residential properties you can initiate the screening process by filling out the form linked above. The cost for screening is $40 per adult who will reside at the property. Please submit the completed forms and make payment to our office by cash, check, or money order. You will also need to provide us with a copy of your Driver’s License or State I.D., your Social Security card, and proof of income (e.g. two most recent pay stubs, etc.).
Financial Assistance for Renters
The federal government provides financial assistance for affordable rental housing to qualified individuals. Programs such as the Housing Choice Voucher Program (viz. Section 8) can offer renters more options than they might otherwise have. For more information check out the following link: Housing Choice Voucher Program
Many people experience periods of financial strain due to the loss of a job or unforeseen hardships. We partner with municipal, regional, and state government agencies and local charities to provide short-term assistance to clients who cannot meet their financial obligations. Use the below links and information to connect with sources of aid during difficult times.
- Most of the Church ministries in the area that provide financial assistance require a referral from one of the organizations listed below. Your first step toward getting help should be to contact one or more of these. Please print out our Financial Assistance Letter (or pick up a copy from our office) to present to the aid organization when you arrive.
- Greater Hickory Cooperative Christian Ministry
- Address: 31 1st Avenue SE, Hickory, NC 28602
- Phone: (828) 327-0979
- Contact: Linda Gensheimer
- Webpage: www.ccmhickory.com/client_services.html
- Christian Community Outreach Ministries
- Address: 870 8th Street NE, Hickory, NC 28601
- Phone: (828) 381-6017
- Contact: Steve Workman
- Eastern Catawba Cooperative Christian Ministry
- Address: PO Box 31, 245 E. N Street, Newton NC 28658
- Phone: (828) 465-1702
- Webpage: www.ecccm.org/crisis-programs
- Salvation Army of Hickory
- Address: 750 3rd Ave Place SE, Hickory, NC 28602
- Phone: (828) 322-8061
- Webpage: www.salvationarmycarolinas.org/hickory/programs
- Contact: Delilah Flores
- Churches that offer short term aid (note: you must be referred by one of the above organizations):
- Corinth Reformed United Church of Christ: Open to meet Wednesday 1:00 – 3:00 PM, 150 16th Avenue NW, Hickory, NC 28601 – (828) 328-6196. Must be a Hickory city resident and have current picture ID.
- First Presbyterian Church: Open to meet Tuesday and Thursday 2:00-3:30 PM, 237 2nd Street NW, Hickory 28601 – (828) 322-6343. Must have current eviction or cut-off notice and lease agreement, and have current picture ID.
- Lakeview Baptist Church: Open to meet Tuesday 10:00 AM- 12:00 PM, 4080 North Center Street, Hickory, NC 28601 – (828) 324-8085. Must live in zip code areas 28601 or 28602, currently receive no rent subsidies, and have current picture ID.
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church: Open to meet Thursday, 2:00-4:00 PM, 52 16th Avenue NW, Hickory, NC 28601 – (828) 327-9837. Must have current eviction or cut-off notice and live in zip code areas 28601 or 28602.
Financial Assistance for Homeowners
If you are struggling to pay your mortgage or HOA dues each month there are federal, state, and regional government assistance programs that can help you avoid foreclosure or other adverse consequences. Please contact the below agencies to connect to these resources:
- Western Piedmont Counsel of Governments
- (Physical) 1880 Second Ave, NW, Hickory NC 28601
- (Mailing) PO Box 9026, Hickory, NC 28603
- Phone: (828) 322-9191
- Webpage: WPCOG
- Contact: Kim Duncan
- NC Housing Finance Agency / NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund
- (Physical) 3508 Bush Street, Raleigh, NC 27609-7509
- (Mailing) P.O. Box 28066, Raleigh, NC 27611-8066
- Phone: 1-800-393-0988 or (919) 877-5700
- Webpage: NCFPF